Sunday, March 08, 2009

Blog Post for DMA250 (For 3/5/2009 & 3/10/2009) Must Have Elements, 5 Concepts, Final Concept Choice, Design & Sitemap

The must have elements in my portfolio are:

Contact (A must have, how do you expect them to contact you.)
Resume (To display your qualifications, education and experiences.)
Portfolio (To display your best work and highlight your skills. To show that you have the knowledge to do the job.)
-3D Art
(My main category for my work.)
-3D Stills (My sub category for my work dealing with render still images of models with detail shots and progress shots.)
-3D Animation (My sub category for my work dealing with animated videos.)
-2D Art (My main category for my work dealing with 2D art that is related to the 3D art like sketches.)
Bio (Not really needed but to give the reader a little info about yourself.)



Five concepts for your portfolio:

1. TV screen or portable device
I like the layout of www.ak3d.de which looks like a portable media player. It uses flash intensely and needs a good computer to view it. He is a 3D artist. (I want to do something similar but I do not know how to do something like that but if I did I would do my portfolio like that.)
2. 3D World or Room
I was thinking of doing a 3D area where things in the area will go to the separate parts of my portfolio. (I like this concept but this will require flash knowledge which I do not have.)
3. Fun & Interactive
Something similar to this site but with 3D animations
4. Simple
This 3D artist uses a simple portfolio site and was easy to find his demo reel / contact and gallery.
5. A combination of concepts 1-4
I like parts of all the concepts I said already but it would required a flash site to do the way I am visioning it and I have not touch flash in years and forgot how to do stuff in it. I open flash CS4 and notice it looks different from when I used it with new tools. It looks like to get what I want to do I have to get a book on flash and learn to use it but I barely have time to do all my homework so I won't have time to read any book.



Final Choice

It looks like I have to focus on a site that I will be able to do with the website knowledge I have which would have to be concept 4 Simple. But I really want to do the combination of all the concepts, looks like I have to that one in the future when I know how to do it.

The site would have a simple navigation bar on the top and everything underneath it. The colors would have to be black for the background and shades of gray or blue. The site navigation bar would have links to Resume/contact, 3D art, 2D art, Bio, and Demo reel. I think I am going to do a site similar to the site posted in concept 4 but with a couple of changes.

1. Group: my work is going to be grouped by 3D art and 2D art with each have sub categories.
2. Map: look at site map below
3. Schematic: will have to do later
4. Look-and-feel: since I have limited website knowledge it the site is going to be simple.



Site Map

Home -with Bio and demo reel.
Resume/contact pdf and web version of resume and contact info.
3D art
-3D animation (thumbnails of projects)
--Project with images, video and description
---Description would include: When it was made, Title, a short description of the project, and what programs were used.
-3D stills
--Project with images and description
---Description would include: When it was made, Title, a short description of the project, and what programs were used.
2D art
-2D animation (to be added when I have some but will leave out for now)
-2D stills
--Project with images and description
---Description would include: When it was made, Title, a short description of the project, and what programs were used.

End note: It looks like for a 3D model/animator a site using flash is the perfect choice but with my limited website knowledge is forcing me to do a simple html site. And I currently have no time to learn flash. I'm starting to hate the word think critically in every assignment description. It is hard to think critically when I have so much homework to do with not a lot of time to actually think critically, most of the time I have to do this really fast so I can do the next homework.

No comments: