Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Blog Post for DMA250 (For 2/3/2009) Entry level job, its requirements and my job experience

I have found some entry level jobs for 3D animation at entryleveljobs.net.
Many obviously required for 3D animation the basic knowledge of 3D modeling with 3D programs like Maya or 3D Studio Max. Character rigging for animation. Knowledge of how things move for when animating (like a walk cycle). Most requires at least 1 year experience doing some form of 3D modeling and animation. Some jobs list Photoshop as a bonus skill (used for creating textures.) Some list working well with others. Some entry level jobs only last for a few months since it is for a one time project. Some jobs required that you show some of your work to show that you can use the programs and to show what level your at. Most of the jobs are located in CA or NY while some are in other places.
these are a bunch of requirement from different jobs which repeats from job to job but with some or all from the list.

More jobs for animation but most requires some work experience. Here.
gamasutra.com seems to be a great site for jobs in the 3D games field but most jobs required years of work experience with other companies.

I notice finding jobs for a 3D artist is hard and the ones I find requires work experience.
As I was searching I tried a search for Graphic Designers and they have more entry level jobs than 3D Artists do. :( Good thing I know photoshop so I might have to get a job in Graphic Design while looking for a job as a 3D artist. It looks like many jobs are looking for Graphic Designers than 3D artists and I can see why since there aren't that many 3D studios besides the big name ones and Graphic designers can create art for small shops and companies while 3d artist have to work for a company that does 3d.

As for my job experience I have none. Most of my day has been spent at school and when I'm at home I'm either doing homework for hours or doing one of my hobbies which I barely have time for. After high school I went straight to college and it has been taking up most of my day. If I had a job at anytime during my time at college I would have handed in alot of school work late. I wish I had some time to work and since I do not work I barely have any money for things but the wonders of the internet helps me find things for free (*cough* like Maya 2009 or Adobe CS4 master collection and games amoung many other digital things *cough*). *nervous look* *torrents are a pirate's best friend*

edit:
The only work experience I can think of was my TV Studios class in High School. I was working as the audio level mixer and graphics design most of the time in that class. I remember the class assign me to the many jobs required for TV production. I remember the teacher liking me since I was able to do all the jobs very well except for being in front of the camera since I speak with a low voice. He told me that I work well behind the scenes.
That is the only work experience I can think of right now. I can think of other things I have done but I do not know if that counts as work experience/volunteer work.

1 comment:

Admin said...

While you said you don't have much experience outside of school, just by looking at you're blog shows that you have a lot of knowledge with digital design. A good way to add to your experience is to try an internship with a company that specializes in 3D and digital design during you're college career. Good luck.